Friday, May 19, 2017

Fiji Times or Fiji Sun

We know that the Fiji Sun grovel to the current government so are favoured by them. The Fiji Times is far superior.
Here's a letter to the Editor of the Fiji Times:

PEOPLE'S NEWSPAPER

Vijay Maharaj, Sydney Australia | Wednesday, May 17, 2017
This Sawakasa II village road sign is tilting on its side in Tailevu North. Picture: JONA KONATACI.
This Sawakasa II village road sign is tilting on its side in Tailevu North. Picture: JONA KONATACI.
I wish to thank the Attorney-General and Economy Minister, Aiyaz Saiyed-Khaiyum, for moving around the country trying to educate the people on the system of budget preparation. He is also inviting suggestions and ideas that could be incorporated in the next budget.
While I appreciate the motives behind such campaigns, I am at a loss to understand why our A-G keeps on attacking The Fiji Times. I am a keen reader of newspapers and I closely follow the news section of radio stations and TV channels.
I believe The Fiji Times has given enough coverage and publicity to his meetings. Whatever transpires in such meetings are reported by well trained and experienced reporters. In fact, I believe I have seen more of Honourable Sayed-Khaiyum's pictures in The Fiji Times than any other current politician, for which he should be really thankful.
Some time ago in one of his meetings in Vanua Levu, I believe Hon. Sayed-Khaiyum even asked the people not to buy The Fiji Times, and now he is telling people not to believe what is reported in The Fiji Times. Such comments and actions I believe will do more damage for our A-G politically.
Finally I strongly believe that The Fiji Times is still the "people's" newspaper.
Look at the volume of its circulation and one can easily gauge its popularity. Whatever we read in this open column is entirely the views of the writers and the newspaper should never be blamed if it hurts any politician or a member of Parliament.
I believe in true democracy and according to our Constitution we have the freedom of expression and therefore any politician should always be prepared to face a bit of criticism and also accept praise if offered for good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home