Monday, February 21, 2011

A breath of fresh air in the country










from w
Yesterday we left the guys to fend for themselves for a day and a half as Peceli and I took off for the fresh air and green fields of the countryside, first going to the gorgeous historical town of Clunes, via Ballarat, to attend the funeral of Bill Wallis, a friend, at Wesley on Clunes - the renovated chapel of Wesley College's rural campus. Then we drove to Greendale to enjoy the hospitality of my brother John and his wife Margaret and there we talked until midnight. Early this morning Peceli and I explored their bushland garden and up the Lacote Road before breakfast. Then we drove via the freeway to Bacchus Marsh to visit Aunt Mary, a 97 year old who is still managing in her own unit and there we shared many stories over a cuppa. Her memory is amazing and she told us family anecdotes that I didn't even know about. It was an auspicious time too because it's 100 years almost to the day when my mother, Lin was born - 1911 Feb 20th so Mum was on my mind. Then I noticed an old framed photograph of Mum and Aunt Mary's mother, May, so I took a photo of that. We arrived back in Geelong by 12.30 and the place was quite tidy after all. By 4 p.m. the house was filled with the singing by the school boys as they made themselves fried eggs - only one landing on the floor. It had been very good for Peceli and I to see the familiar Australian landscapes of rounded hills and eucalypt forests as well as catch with friends and family.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

So glad that you got copies of those photographs of your mother and great aunt. Our old family photos are so important to me.
annie

6:08 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Annie, the framed photo is of my grandmother May (Morris) Collins and she rather looks like the cousin I gave the 'rubbish tip' painting to many years ago! Oh the arrogance of an art student/teacher who wore blue stockings those days!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home