Monday, November 09, 2009

Remembering anniversaries

from w
There's lots of talk this week of it being twenty years since the breaking down of the Berlin Wall. Yes, I remember that time and the excellent consequences. Also of course it is a birthday of something equally (?) significant - that magical TV program Sesame Street which children have loved for two generations. It was ahead of its time with its inclusiveness and mix of real kids and puppets. Now that started forty years ago!

It's also Remembrance Day tomorrow - 11th of 11th month and Peceli remembers his older brother Laisenia who died in the Solomon Islands.(reposted from an earlier babasiga blog posting: from Peceli) I was thinking of my older brother Laisiasa Masidugu who died in the battlefield in the Solomon in 1944. I only discovered by using the internet that my brother Laisaisa is listed in the Rabaul War Cemetery in Papua New Guinea.
Rabaul War Cemetery Roll of Honour includes:
MASIDUGU, Private, LAISIASA, 1336. 1st Bn. Fiji Infantry 13. A. Regt. Fiji Military Forces. 29th March 1944. Age 22. V.
I was about seven when the District Officer and a Fijian came to our house to tell my father that Laisiasa had died. The story was that there was a valley and three young soldiers kept on fighting while the others in his platoon of the First Battalian were told to retreat. Later on someone came to our house to give us his belt and water bottle. There were bullet holes in the belt. A few years ago I saw an honour scroll in my cousin’s house in Naseakula and it was a tribute to Laisiasa and I have it now.

from Wendy again: And I remember forty years ago, waddling around, very delighted, due to give birth to my second son on 11th of November. And yes, we remember Rob's life was ended when he was 30 in an accident in 2009. So today and tomorrow we have plenty to remember.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

Those are heavy-duty remembrances for you both. I think it comforting when we set a time aside so we can recall the special moments that we shared with loved ones who were so important to us and our lives.
annie

10:32 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Thank you Annie. I'm waiting for the day when you share your stories with us and set up your own blog site!
Wendy

4:17 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Thank you, dear Wendy, but right now I am just trying to get back to being ten years old. Back when I'd write a friend a letter or card and draw a cartoon or sketch with it. Back before adult intimidation clicked in. I just sent a postcard of golden foliage in the park, so maybe I'm getting back to normal-- only took me 65 years to get here.
:)
annie

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home