Monday, August 17, 2009

Fractals and mandalas

from w
This week I read an article about the time mathematicians got excited about fractals and chaos theory and produced art-like pictures which look like 70s psychedic days. I have always liked patterns created in kaleidescopes and the ever-changing pictures when I looked down the mirrored tube of a kaleidescope in childhood days. I hadn't heard of mandalas then, not until I saw a group of Tibertan monks creating a coloured sand mandala at the Geelong Art Gallery. All of these have one thing in common, repetition and order. If I only had time, as the song goes, I would like to create mandalas, but I am too impatient. Probably there's a shortcut way of making them using a computer program?

Two websites of interest are as follows: escrappers and exentropy.





Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger revkjarla said...

I love fractals, too. There is this amazing book http://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Book-Fractals-Art-Nature/dp/981021426X
that I think is wonderful.
hope you are well!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Karla,
Thank you for the link. I'll look it up. There are some amazing images on-line. Some would be great as quilt designs.
w.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home