Monday, May 11, 2009

Cutting up pictures



from w
When paint doesn't seem to work, I get out the scissors and chop up magazines, art gallery handouts, the Art and Antiques freebies. I had been visiting the Geelong Art Gallery to see the sculpture exhibition - 19th century to the present day - sentimental kind of naturalism to abstract and a bit back to figurative. The kiss of an angel statue had very good curved shapes but the subject was a bit off-putting, a soft looking fellow and a languid gal. The reference of the exhibition was the words of Michaelangelo' I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.' Is an angel masculine or without gender? Is an angel with wings real anyway? So I decided to see what happens when you mix up two different cut up pictures etc. One of the results could be Michaelangelo dreaming, another 'Dream on', and the third 'Let's get out of here'. The last one is actually from an advertisement for a different Geelong gallery and I guess I ought to apologize to artists and galleries for mis-using their pics!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Well, Jesus did say that in the resurrection, people do not marry, nor are they given in marriage, i.e. they become as angels in Heaven (Matthew 22:30, Mark 12:25). I would take that to mean that angels are essentially genderless.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home