Friday, March 13, 2009

Dance as if no one is watching



from w
I really love qawali music and first got to know it when we lived in Fiji and some of our neighbours sang this kind of Indian music. It is mainly associated with Muslims such as from Pakistan. But there is a religion from Turkey where men dance to this kind of music, the whirling dervishes from the Sufi mystical branch of Islam. If I wasn't a Christian, this is my kind of religion perhaps! They sing, they write poetry, they dance! In Melbourne one group perform occasionally. I haven't had the opportunity to see them though. So far I only have seen them on TV. Anyway I did a drawing today of the dancers, then added watercolour, then made a few variations. They spin as the music sings the names of God and trance-like they keep on dancing and dancing.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home