Sunday, June 29, 2008

What to do about a wheezy cough?

from w
Junior and I both have a dry cough at present so resort to lemonade, lemon tea, honey, steam with Vicks, cough lollies, etc. etc. I did a google search and came up with some herbal medicines so might try the turmeric one tomorrow. I usually make up tea with ginger, honey and lemon but haven't got any ginger at present.

Cure the Cough, the Natural Way by Janice Kumar
Honey is well accepted way of providing cough relief. One way to us it effectively is to combine it with the curative properties of the onion. To get rid of an irritating cough, pour 2 teaspoons of honey on a freshly cut slice of onion. Cover it and let is lie for four to five hours. Then take one teaspoon of this honey after removing the onion piece. You will find immediate relief. Repeat the second teaspoon after three to four hours.

Another remedy effective in cough with a cold is as follows. Take one onion, five basil leaves, two cloves and five peppercorns in 200 ml of water. Boil them together till the water reduces by half. Sip this hot concoction, thrice daily to find substantial relief from cough and cold.

A persistent allergic cough is very irritating. It dies not seem to go away easily and keeps the patient irritated all day long. If you can't find a cause, try this cure. Take a guava (fruit) and bake it in an oven. Eat this baked guava once a day for three to four days and you will find substantial relief.

Another quick fix for minor coughs is turmeric. Take half a glass of hot water and add a pinch of salt to it. Stir. Then add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Drink this mixture once daily for three days to find relief. This is also an effective pre emptive way to protect the throat from persistent infections.

For a sore throat and cough, try turmeric with milk. Add a teaspoonful of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and boil it. Sip this hot milk, morning and evening to find relief from a sore, painful throat and cough.

Another herb that works well in case of throat problems in ginger. Squeeze one teaspoonful of ginger juice and add an equal quantity of honey to it. Ingest this concoction and then follow up with a cup of hot milk to find relief from cough and minor throat problems.

Another remedy is to take half a cup of hot water, add three teaspoons of fresh lime juice to it, one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of ginger juice. Mix well and sip this concoction, three times daily, to find relief from cough.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Thank you for a very timely post! I have those very ingredients in my kitchen. Time to give them a try!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Lots of people a bit sick with coughs here this winter. I didn't go to my Book Club today - just emailed stuff to one of the members as my cough is still annoying and I don't want to pass on the bug. I tried garlic in tea today and it's tolerable!
w.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Hi Wendy, do hope the cough is getting better, not sure about some of those remedies though.
Havent had a lot of time to do anything except mundane stuff and no sketching but I will get back to it eventually.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hi Penny,
Geelong is full of coughing people at present. I thought I could fix mine with natural cures but I walked around the house last night like a tiger, so this morning went to the doctor (Iraqi guy I think) and now have the blessed penicillin and even ventilin if I freak out at night and carry on a bit. To know that I have Ventilin handy will make me more secure I guess. I've only used it a couple of times over the years.
w.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your drawing of remedies. In the U.S. doctors are now saying that none of store-bought coughing medicines really work any better than honey. But good old penicillin (which I'm deathly allergic to) can definitely do wonders when it's gone beyond a cold and turned into sinusitis or bronchitis. I hope you're feeling better soon!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home