Thursday, June 05, 2008

'what can you do with words' gig



from w
I spent today at another seminar/conference type gig! This time I went out to Deakin University Waurn Ponds campus, my old stamping ground, for a seminar about writing. About 200 people there. And a free lunch too. The sub-text was to get senior secondary school students, uni students and oldies interested in doing the courses offered in Literary Studies and Professional Writing. I went because one of the speakers was Helen Garner, an author of bity realist stories and novels. Parts of the program were irrelevant to me so I did a few surreptitious drawings and added a bit of colour while waiting for a bus in town. One of the speakers - with long hair - was a speech writer for a politician. Another got excited about a long anecdote while promoting the wonders of doing an MA.






It was a good day overall. Before the seminar I had gone to the library to look at a couple of books by Andrew Thornley as I really wanted to see what he said about Macuata/Mouta/Mali/Naduri/Ritova. I was amazed to read that in the 1850s a Methodist teacher was stationed in Mouta (Nadogo, Macuata) and many people there became Christians. That was earlier than we thought. However wars followed and wife and child of that teacher were killed. Peceli and I really want to find out more about the early history in Macuata.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I Love the top two - such amusing shaped heads.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

And my hubby did his honours thesis on the Tuka cult in Fiji- he found lots of original source material in the Mitchel Library in Sydney

5:14 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Alison,
I can't sit still for hours listening to speakers so I draw. The Tuka - whoa! Now that was a strange story. Not only the Mitchell library is great for Fiji documents but also one in Canberra - St Marks which has the Tippett collection.
w.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Carl Hirst said...

Hi Wendy id love to talk you about the Pacific Tzigani drop me a line at carlhirst at gmail dot com

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home