Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The auction of Miharo




from w
One of the prettiest houses in Geelong that I've wanted to explore is up for auction. I wasn't able to look through it as I was busy when they opened it for the public. This is the house on my wish list - though I wouldn't know how to keep it tidy of course. It's like a beautiful iced wedding cake. Address - 145 Noble Street Newtown. I noticed it first when I was researching a family who lived next door (related to the Loch Ard shipwreck story). The elaborate facade was added in 1890 to an earlier building by architests Beswike and Coote, and more renovations were made in the 1990s. There is a beautiful conservatory. It's not all old-fashioned beauty though - there's a multi-car garage for 12 cars! The auction is next Saturday, 10th May at noon. I wonder how many million it will bring! The name, Miharo, is perhaps a Maori name so I wonder about the connection.
(Later, Miharo was sold on Saturday afternoon for over $1.9 million.)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

what an absolutely beautiful house Wendy.It has all the prettiness of a wedding cake. I have never seen such a lovely facade. I am catching up on what you are doing, just not a lot of time for comments.

10:52 PM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

That house is too beautiful to be real. I think someone has been pulling your leg.

(12-car garage??? I feel so LOW...)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Penny and Moody,
It is just too pretty to live in. Grandchildren would chuck balls around and smash that beautiful conservatory!
Moody, it is very real as I've driven or walked past the house several times but it does look magical. Perhaps I could write a kids' story about it?
w.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Peceli and Wendy, Penny & Moody,

I assure you this house has seen its share of grandchildren without a single breakage! I also assure you it is real, it was my home for 14 years & my nieces indeed ran riot when they visited. But the old house stood up to the challenge. From us it has changed hands to a wonderful family with their own share of grandchildren. I hope they love it as much as we did.

And as for the 12 car garage, what can I say? My dad loved cars :)

2:11 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Miharo gran (?)
How lucky you have been to have lived there! Indeed it is a treasure of a house.
Wendy

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, the name Miharo is Maori meaning "wonder, surprise, amazement and awe". The connection is that along the way one of the designers or architects was Maori. :) Happy New Year

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the home of my Great-aunt Beatrix McLeod

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And of my Great-aunt Trix (Beatrix)

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home