Sunday, March 09, 2008

Picking the Archibald winner



from w
There were two paintings the judges argued about in the final count of Australia's prestigious Archibald Portrait Prize - has to be of someone of note, not just ordinary joes and janes. Anyway the two top contenders were (a) a self-portrait with her two children by Del Kathryn Barton of Sydney and (b)a triple portrait of Heath Ledger by Vincent fantauzzo of Melbourne. Can you pick the winner?
(pics scrounged from the internet from Oz newspaper websites)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I really like the winning one - I'm not keen on photo realism. I like the textiley look of it.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I like her use of textile patterns, not sure about the faces of the children but I like her self-portrait. About photo-realism, I like it up to a point but a picture also should have some vague or curly bits that are not realistic I reckon.
w.
Now I must go and see what has happened to the fence and trees outside!

8:27 PM  
Blogger revkjarla said...

I hope it was the self portrait! I love it..very interesting, textured, and my eye, even from this tiny photo of it, keeps looking for more of the story in her details.

The Heath Ledger photo, however, is stunning, and I can see why it was a finalist.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

A quick look at the final paintings for the Archibald can be found at http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/finalists/archibald

w.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home