Thursday, February 07, 2008

Up a gum tree to down a gum tree








Click on picture to enlarge.

from w
Two eucalypts, about fifty years old, took three and a half hours to come down. Three men, a cherry-picker, a chain-saw, ropes, a machine with gigantic teeth, a mulcher. Here's some of the process. I missed the finale as I had to leave to do some computer work up at the church. The trees came down at the request of a neighbour who plans to build four units. The men did a careful clean job, measuring occasionally so that nothing was damaged, removed the Hills Hoist line, etc. I was rather scared though of the mulcher which just ate up most of the tree branches and they only kept a few logs to sell for firewood perhaps.

It's sad, but okay I guess, the branches may one day fall, and one tree was dying anyway.

(Later - Saturday) This morning at 9 a.m. I heard a terrific row in the back garden and the men had come back with a different machine, to dig up the tree stumps and turn them into dust. All I have left of the trees is the dust and a handful of leaves left behind after a branch came crashing down.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

And thus even more green, and the CO2-eating power that went with it, vanishes into dust...

Sad, but an inescapable fact of life.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Sad, I have a friend in suburban Adelaide and every time they knock down a house they completely clear the block and then she has terrible trouble with even more possums finding refuge in her garage. No carbon saving and when they build all over the blocks, no where for the rain water to go. Stupid.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to remove 2 very large pine trees from my little backyard when I bought my cottage. They were dying from old age and infestation, blocked all the sun from this already foggy cool area, posed a hazard and took up my whole backyard. But once they were cut down I felt like I'd killed somebody's grandparents. It was really sad seeing them all chopped up even though their lives were over anyway. I've replanted many smaller trees and now I have lots of birds other than just the crows that lived in the old trees.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home