Sunday, January 20, 2008

Noticing the details


from w
Usually I walk quickly to a bus stop or on an errand but the task of drawing in the local streets has slowed me down to notice more details. For example there is a flowering eucalyptus tree three houses down, on the roadside, but... there is an ugly electricity pole right next to it. What was planted first - the tree, or the pole? In Geelong poles and wires are necessary I suppose, but in some newer suburbs I believe they are putting them underground.


On the other hand, sometimes, just sometimes, there is a beauty about a detail or object designed for a purpose that is almost sculptural. I found two power poles by a google search that look like modern sculpture. Thee was a reference to 'potheads' and 'terminators' which I thought was interesting! Also I like the look of power towers stalking across the land, such as on the drive to Anakie.

added later, on Tuesday:
I saw this 'Dancing Tree' in Wilson Road when on the way to the library. It seemed to be dancing with the electric pole! Another strange juxtaposition that the local planners don't seem to bother about. I think the convoluted branches were caused by someone who lopped the tree very drastically at one stage and it objected!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading your musings about power poles and dancing trees and funny names of electrical parts. Plumbing parts are even funnier, with many parts named after body parts...which I suppose is appropriate since it's all about plumbing. Your dancing tree drawing is so fluid and captures the dance beautifully.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Jana, Yes plumbing names would probably make me blush. Not much drawing going on today as my beloved arrived back last night from Fiji and it's making cups of tea or cool drinks every hour today and much tender, lovin' care! Oh yeah!
w.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home