Friday, January 25, 2008

Another Quilt Convention


from w
Usually I chuck advertising material straight into the recycle but this one caught my attention, the 2008 Quilt Convention coming up in Melbourne. I went last year and saw so many beautiful examples of women's crafts though it was really, really crowded with enthusiastic quilters. This time the exhibition will include some South African embroidery from the Kopanang Project for village women affected by the HIV/AIDS virus. This group recently received a commission for 13 wall hangings for Oprah Winfrey's South African school for girls.

Another things I noticed in the brochure was a competition to make quilts for 'Under Flynn's Wings' - as it's eighty years on since the commencement of the Flying Doctor Service in Australia's inland. A nice mix of craftwork with the history of the Presbyterian / Uniting Church's national mission to the inland.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Hi Wendy, I will be in Melbourne for this, just, we come over on the Monday of that week and fly out on the afternoon of the first day of the Quilt show so I can go and buy a few more bits and bobs from Dale at the Thread Studio and see what else I can find. Was a good excuse to get over, just hope I have time to get what I want done but 2 hours should do it before we have to head out for the airport. John is coming with me.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

You will be in a hurry. I plan to go either Thursday or Saturday. You mean John will walk around the expo with you in the midst of all that colour and texture of thousands of women?
w.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home