Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Visit to the Sportsmen's Club




from w
Now, Sportsmen's Clubs and pokie machines are not my scene but this year the church fellowship groups (about seven of them - so about ninety women) decided to eat at this venue instead of the getting-older women catering. We used to have fabulous dinners with decorations and trimmings, lots of singing, a speaker, etc. This time we had to wait for the bingo guys to leave, then we sat down as a waiter shoved a few leaves on the tables as decoration. Anyway I met lots of friends I don't see much so that was fine. A nice turkey meal and plum pudding. Water on the tables. Hey, where's the punch? Line up for coffee. Okay, bare and spare for a Christmas party but that's okay. The entertainment was lovely - about 28 Grade 5 and 6 (I guess) children from the Leopold Primary School and two teachers came in and sang half a dozen songs. A super idea. Better than older women listening to love songs of the 40s. Anyway I drew three women at the pokie machines while we waited, and then quick sketches of some of the singing group.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Love the children, and the women playing the pokies look about right. Pub meals are not quite the same, we go to the wildlife park which puts on a good cheap meal but no singing children.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I suppose I contradict myself at times - I didn't like the bling and dollar signs in the Market Square but I did expec pretty decorations at the ladies Christmas dinner! I do like decorations and flowers - prepared with a loving hand. On Tuesday at the Women's Interfaith meeting, one of the ladies gave us each a gift of lovely home-baked biscuits to take home and that was nice.
w.

4:18 PM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

"Pokie machines"? I like that! Is that the Aussie term for a "one-armed bandit"? How widespread are they down under?

3:57 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yes, one-armed bandits is another name. Millions of dollars goes on them (though notice the 2c above each machine as if the whole gaming procedure is innocuous and barely costs much. Some people lose their houses over an addiction to such a simple game.
Okay, nuff preachin'!
w.
I might colour the original drawing as it needs lots of gold and glitter.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home