Friday, October 05, 2007

Melbourne Welsh Male Choir


from w
This afternoon I went to St Mary's Basilica - the best venue in Geelong for a music program. The Melbourne Welsh Male Choir performed - with about fifty men. What an enchanting afternoon it was with their full voices - first tenor, second tenor, baritone and bass voices and a pianist on a grand piano almost dancing with her fingers and toes.

The program included Methodist hymns (of course), 'Men of Harlick', 'Danny Boy', songs from 'Oliver', 'Summertime', negro spirituals, 'New York, New York'. A soloist sang a few popular songs - I didn't catch his name, and of course he sang, 'I did it my way!'. I drew a sketch during 'Danny Boy'. Because of the huge crowd they were screening videos of the choir in action which was useful. This choir is going the London next year to sing in the Albert Hall. Yes, excellent.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

I am not the only one sketching in a church. sounds wonderful.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yes, I took a little A5 sketchbook this time. I like the curved shapes in Gothic style buildings and St Mary's is a rather magnificant building - though my religious stamping ground is a smaller modest but very neat building that was once a bowling clubroom but it was shifted to a hill at the top of Boundary Rd. Our fellowship meeting room - we call the Bay Room because it overlooks Corio Bay nicely - was once a bar.
w.

2:02 AM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

And of course, in a church like that (i.e. the curved shapes and vaulted ceiling) I bet it sounded even better! There's just something about a Gothic-style church sanctuary...

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home