Tuesday, September 04, 2007

House after the gale


from w
A few days ago we had a huge gale that took down a few trees, brick walls, rooftops in Geelong. It's sunny today and my flu is better so I went out to go shopping and noticed my neighbour's house - four doors down - had a problem with the corrugated iron roof, all coming apart. So later on, I did a pencil sketch, added biro and here it is. This is a modest cottage, boom style, maybe over hundred years old, where a Hungarian elderly couple used to live with their three Vizla dogs. Now young guys live there and I guess storm damage insurance will give them a new verandah roof shortly.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger memo said...

eeek..that house looks mangled..great sketch though. I think Im going to start doing that, keeping a pencil and sketch book on hand. Since im not going to have time to do any big paintings. Its a brilliant idea.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I've been wanting to draw the huge ti-trees in the front yard but when I saw the gale damage then i decided it was time. Perhaps I have exaggerated a little - as I do with the truth and fiction.
w.

5:39 PM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

That house definitely looks sad, and your sketch style adds to the sense of melancholy (he says, typing this post while Typhoon #9 rages outside and hoping his own steel roof will come through intact).

I hope you get better soon. The flu is bad enough without it going on and on and on...

6:46 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Moody,
I hope things are looking up for you. The flu has gone....at last. I'm sad today though - have to play music at a funeral this afternoon - for a 90 year old. The family wants to sing 'Count your blessings'and the minister said, 'What? Never heard of it.'
w.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Lovely sketch, poor house. Glad you are feeling better.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Lovely lines and texture in this one. The house certainly seems to have character.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home