Friday, July 27, 2007

goodbye church, goodbye manse



from w
Isa lei, another one bites the dust. This lovely old timber home with five bedrooms and very pretty leadlight, built a hundred years ago, is the St Andrews manse. What are they thinking? It's for auction next Saturday and they expect $700,000 because it's 5 minutes walk frm the centre of Geelong and a good location for a doctor's practice, not far from two hospitals. Okay, times are changing but...

Peceli and I have spent many hours visiting the neighbouring minister there - who for many years was part of the East Geelong Uniting Church parish team. Our manse was a block away. Every week we used to visit Alex and Bernice Hodgson for a cuppa and chat, and more recently I joined a Marcus Borg book study group there with another minister. Alas, now St Andrew's does not have a minister, but an interim lay pastor with his own house, but eventually they will need another manse - though not for $770,000!


I went to the inspection half-hour today and drew two of the leadlight windows as several families wandered through the house - potential buyers. The price is not in my league but the property guy didn't mind me standing in the hallway sketching with watercolour pencils!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I love the design of that house!

I don't suppose the seller would let me talk it down...?

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home