Saturday, May 12, 2007

More pictures from Footscray



from w
Two pictures I drew at the market on Friday were of vegetables that I don't normally see in the shops in Geelong.

The third picture is a sad tale. Lying down in front of a disused shop not far from the market was a middle-aged woman, about forty perhaps with a begging plate. She asked us for coins. I said, 'Are you waiting for your dole?' She said no. I was so surprised to see a beggar here, and a woman just lying down on the hard cement. Do you give money to beggars or not? We did not this time. Peceli said he should have talked with her more, ask her to stand up at least. We were wondering just what was her story. I did not draw the woman on the spot, just did a sketch later on, remembering her.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Happy Mothers day too Wendy, we had a lovely lunch by the beach at Pt Elliott.
I am going to darn my jumper, but this was my going out one! Cant be seen out at posh things with darns..
I am afraid I dont give beggars hand outs, I am sure they get money other ways as well and I dont really have enough money either

11:30 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

That woman did give me a shock because she did look so ordinary. In Melbourne you get a few young people asking for money near the railway station etc. but they don't lie down on the cement. I presume the woman had a mental problem - so... there but by the grace of God, go I, hey. It's potluck it seems who has the really bad knocks in life.
w.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

L ovely market sketches.

4:36 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wow these market drawings are absolutely stunning. So colourful. Just really beautiful.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home