Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Waterlilies and the making of a peace banner


from w
The red poppy is the symbol on our TV programs and in our newspapers today for Anzac Day. This is to recall the disastrous landing on Gallipoli in Turkey by Australian and New Zealand troops who died in their thousands, way back in 1925. It is almost Australia's national day, more important than the January 26th day remembering the landing of ships carrying soldiers and convicts into Sydney when 'white' settlement started in Australia.

However, I have decided that the water lily is a symbol for me to use today in making my little square of a peace banner. It is a project of our Interfaith Women's group. We met yesterday and worked on our 'squares'. I'm not a sewing kind of person these days so it's not easy for me. Shall I glue it all on? Or stitch around each secion? Anyway I just placed the bits I cut out with wonky scissors on the scanner so that I can have a clue where to put the leaves, etc. I am a temporary custodian of a sewing machine to eventually go overseas, but it's being repaired at present so I will have to sew by hand.

To me waterlilies look very calm and beautiful even though the ponds they grow in are often murky and muddy. Well, that's life. Sometimes a beautiful moment arrives out of the darkness and muddled and muddy existence we experience.
(posted later) Well, I just used craft glue and strips of black tape. It's rather a crudely designed square. Perhaps next time it will be more delicate rather than look like some mutated flowers. I scanned it again mixing b and w and perhaps that's how peace is these days. A glimmer, not a sentimental glow.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Wendy these are lovely, but couldnt you have used vliesofix which is like a double sided film you can iron onto the aack of the pieces, cut out, take off the paper backing and iron on again? Much easier, then a bit of stitch just to keep them in place.
Your fisha nd chips sounds good.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I'm a novice with this kind of thing Penny. One of the ladies did have some kind of iron on film and that certainly would make it easier.
w.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home