Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Music and me at forty!


from w
A farm family in Hopetoun were moving to the city so wanted to sell their piano. They were members of our parish. A lovely upright Beale and they only wanted $100, so it was a kind of gift to us. Anyway for six years in Hopetoun I got back into music and played for CWA (Country Women's Association) items, Rotary concerts, Music Hall, church plays and concerts. One week when there was an almighty dust-storm, I accompanied two performances of a selection from Handel's 'Messiah' - one time using an organ, the other time a piano.

In a small country town, everyone is needed in community groups to help the town progress (if possible) so we joined in lots of sports, cultural and social groups. In a city, you can be invisible and do not have to contribute, just look after yourself!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but I have to know ... are you still playing?

10:36 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hmmm. I still have the Beale piano but I do have lots of junk on top of it - folders and stuff! I play at the local church on Sundays - piano or organ - there are two musos - I play easy music though, Enya, Eric Satie, Albinoni's Adagio. Fingers aren't as nimble these days.

I've just discovered that a guy in NSW has updated the texts of a hundred or so hymns using old tunes and I've ordered a CD Rom. I might get a few singers up at the church to practice them and we'll do some music for Palm Sunday and Easter.

I sometimes rewrite the Bible and also use Superstar music with new words, but don't tell those pesky copyright people! We use a data projector now and that helps people to look up and sing.
Sometimes I play jazz at home - but not often.
w.

11:30 PM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I guess that's one of the things I both love and hate about small towns...the inescapable sense of community.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

This is a lovely little series - The restricted pallette works very well

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home