Saturday, January 13, 2007

Dragon tree revisited in Geelong Botanic Gardens






Yesterday we drove back to the Geelong Botanic Gardens to do some more sketching and collect data for some future paintings. I discovered that there were at least three young Dragon Trees not far from the old Dragon Tree that was planted in the 1850s and moved in recent years to be part of the 21st Century garden where it is now propped up.

One hot evening we both drew the scene overlooking Eastern Beach so here are some scans from a picture I made of the view overlooking the swimming pools. Hey, a stingray was found in the main pool the other day! The sharkproof fence only keeps out 'large' predators!

The scanner did strange things with some of my pictures - maybe the paper was too big, causing shadows, and also I used 'illustration' instead of 'photo'.
w.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I love these - they remind me of some old picture books I used to have.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

this is a botanical garden? wow... nice. i love all the rides... reminds me of the fairs we used to have in indiana when i was a child.

i love the shadows that the scanner caused. cool affects. :)

you really have a talent. i really enjoy all your pictures. have you ever thought of writing a children's book w/ all the pictures that you've done and all the places you've gone? i think that would really be nice.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Lovely Wendy love the fun fair stuff. I usually only use very small sketchbooks, A5 and A6, just the elcheapo Quill ones and if I paint about A5 get lost on something bigger unless it is flower paintings and then about A4

2:22 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Alison, yes they strangely changed so it must be 'Illustration' does something to them.
Tooners - a picture book for kids? At the moment I'm editing/ rewriting a small book on Geelong faces and places for a writing friend, but the pictures will be mainly photos, though I hope a young artist friend could transform some of them - A lass with talent but is not currently working. We haven't got any funding yet though.
Penny,
El-cheapo. Yes I know their books - great except if you scan a double page you get a shadow. Some of the art bloggers talk about a certain kind of book which opens flat. Haven't seen those in the Reject shop!
W.
W.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home