Friday, September 15, 2006

Border Control and Aussie values

from Wendy

Our political leaders are currently yacking about Aussie Values and Border Control by suggesting that migrants/visitors/students who come to our bonny shores need to sign up to Aussie values. Whatever they may be. Beats me what that means. Does it mean a fair go, a day’s work for a day’s pay. Acknowledging our convict heritage? Well, only some of us. Acknowledging First Nations and their rights. Oh yeah! Singing that Billabong song? Respect for yourself and others - biblical stuff? Be a mate, be sociable, but allow others privacy and space if they want it?

Here’s the ad that looks at ‘us’. The Fosters Ad
I don't have a kangaroo for a pet
I don't wrestle with crocodiles
And I don't wear a cork hat
I fight wars
But never start wars
I would rather make peace
I can wear my country's flag with pride
I am a rock
I am the island continent
My brothers are the Smiths, the Wilson's, the Santerellis, the De Costis,
The Wong's and the Jagamarras
I play football without a helmet
I like beetroot on my hamburger
I ride in the front seat of the taxi
I believe it's a prawn not a shrimp
I believe the world is round and down under is on top
I believe Australia is the best address on Earth
And Australians brew the best beer.


And the song we love to sing:

WE ARE AUSTRALIAN
By Judith Durham – once a Seeker

I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains
I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shore
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.

[chorus]
We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian.
I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains.
I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.
I'm a settler.
I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run
A convict then a free man I became Australian.

[chorus]
We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian.
I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushy, I'm a battler
I am Australian

I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
I paint the ghostly gums
I am Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian

[chorus]

I'm the hot wind from the desert
I'm the black soil of the plains
I'm the mountains and the valleys
I'm the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky
The rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land
I am Australian.

(chorus)
--------------------
And an article ‘Just how Aussie do we have to be?’ by an Australian Muslim, Salam Zreika.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Australia...
Amazing place... can't wait to visit it.
I was looking for the person that sings this song, because I'll use it in a video I'm making for my English Course Final Project, and I finaly found it here.
Thanks... and great blog.
;)

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home