Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The kindness of strangers



Yesterday I was up in Melbourne and after I finished my consultancy task, I wandered around sketching. I sat down at an outdoor table and quickly drew the old State Theatre with its minarets and star studded dome because it is so different from the end wall of the Federation Square mega-art buildings. The proprietor of a coffee shop came out and said 'Would you like a complimentary cappuccino?' 'Oh no, I'll pay for one,' I answer. 'No, no, it's free for you. We opened our shop today. It's been our dream for years to open up such a shop,' said the woman. A lovely creamy hot cappuccino came out and the husband of the woman came and chatted and told me stories about the State Theatre when it was for movies in the 50s with a starry sky interior. Now it's chopped in half for theatre and a disco or something. He said he doesn't like modern ballet such as Rite of Spring only the old classical styles. Charming people. Thank you Colin. The cafe is Pitzky at 27 Russell Street. Colin said the site was recently a car park and a Rolls Royce used to park in the spot where the cafe is now!
W.

3 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

How awesome is that? Fantastic to meet people who give unconditionally and share their joy with others.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

It's such a simple thing, to come out and offer a lovely cup of coffee and a chat and smile, but it did make my day because I was in a huge commercial city, not a country town, so it was unexpected.
W.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I love these two lively drawings

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home