Thursday, August 10, 2006

A handbag as a dog's breakfast


Okay, we don't make airport jokes at this time with the horror of the possibilities of crimes on planes, but I do feel sorry for the men and women and children at Heathrow having to empty out their backpacks, small cases, and handbags. I know that my old black handbag looked like a dog's breakfast one time at Melbourne airport as I watched the scanner detect it all! They kept insisting I had scissors. No, I did not, said I. Yes, you have. And there it was tucked inside a kid's zipper bag where I kept my pens, pastels, crayons for drawing. They confiscated the scissors. So, what's with so many spectacles? Well, perhaps someone says, I need them all, for the sun, for the shade, for reading, for driving. I am sorry for people who are a bit tense or even claustrophobic about flying - without a book, a crossword, their pod, diary, notebook.
W.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Oh, man...Australian airport security and customs are NASTY! Then again, despite all I had to go through with them, at least they never made me drop my pants in front of several hundred if not thousand people because a bit of foil on a button (compliments of my dry cleaners) set off the metal detector. Security at San Francisco airport did just that.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Peceli sometimes visits the South Pacific Island 'clients'of a Detention Centre and going through the scanner always picks up bits of metal and he has to take off his shoes, belt, empty his pockets of keys.
Now the serious stuff. This Heathrow Airport situation has one unfortunate consequence because it will reinforce a fear of 'different' people. Even our Prime Minister is emphasising this aspect - a kind of 'be afraid' syndrome. Of course there are evil people who plan horrendous crimes, but we must not condemn their kin and kind as well.
W.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Wendy thank you for your comments on my blog, It is only my one blog that is having problems and i am still not sure how to fix it. I have tried all the help suggestions. I love your sketches of the bay at Geelong, I love that area.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Peceli
Thanks for your comment on the security cheak in the airport in which you list your small finger nails tools.
joe Cardone hasv lost his his knife in the airport.
Regards

8:00 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Well hullo there Peceli! I guess you have found Govind's internet cafe at last! Yes, Joe lost his knive, our Junior lost his apple-cutting knife one time, I've lost two pairs of scissors at Melbourne airport, different times.
Loloma, watiqu sia.
W.

8:17 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Cool drawing. ..and the story made me laugh too.

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home